Sunday, May 27, 2007

A scare and a ray of hope

( NOTE: I'm going to be out of town Tuesday so instead of normally splitting this up into two parts, today's post is a bit long. My apologies)
*************************************************
Blood pounds in my ears, louder than a raging storm.The vision.. it's happening again.. Please.. someone .. anyone make it stop!

I was in the training room with Belda and Godfrey when it started again. It began playing before my eyes like a horror holo. Her screams made me pull at my hair in anguish.. My little one.. my baby!

It was over just as quickly as it had begun. Godfrey was at my side, asking what had happened, what I had seen. As I tried to rise to explain, pain erupted down my spine. My skin felt like it was on fire and I struggled to get my tunics off. When I did manage to do so Godfrey let out a low gasp." What? what's wrong?" I couldn't take the silence.. It was too much.

He guided me to a full length miror and then I saw the cause of my pain.. It looked like I had been burned in intricate patterns straight down my scar. The skin was pitch black and in some places if it was touched it was still burning." what .. what is it?" I asked, looking from one to the other. The stench of burned flesh hung lightly in the room.

"Normally this would be a mark of maturity in your spirit animal, but it is never this bad and it isn't supposed to be this deep" Godfrey said, studying the markings.

I pulled my tunics back into place respectably and turned to him. " is there anyone else who would know more about it?"

He looked thoughtful for a moment" The Onkichi Budokai will begin within a few days.. I've been wanting to go.. It's a tourtament strictly open for the DaiShujo.. There might be people there who could explain this better than I could.. My grandfather is supposed to be there as well.. i was hoping to be able to go but I didn't want to upset you.." he looked away shyly.

" Of course! Godfrey you should compete! Will I at least be allowed to watch?"
He nodded" Since you're in the family .. They'll let you in. We can always bring Belda as well.. Your niece.."

I nodded" So it's settled.. You'll compete in the Onkichi Budokai and we can find out more about this.. thing.."

I could see the excitement on his face, like a little child at Christmas.. i was happy to see him this excited. Though I had the distinct feeling that I wouldn't be seeing much of him for a few days.. When he got to training he was all but religious about it. Didn't matter though.. to him happy , that was reward enough for me.

The next two days passed in relative peace. Debbak and Harroka never far from my mind. While he trained I scoured the city, often going alone while Belda was in classes. I always left my com number with her teachers but asked they not call me unless in an emergency.

I hunted and hunted for my father throughout the alleyways and city streets. Sometimes I would see the flit of a cape or an irregular step that would make me turn with my saber in hand.

All that would greet me was empty air.

The third day in the afternoon I found Godfrey stretched out on the couch ,shoes off, asleep.He was so adorable.. So sweet.. I didn't try to move him but instead I draped a blanket around him and propped a pillow under his head.I headed into the other room and got me a pillow and a blanket too, with a book.
Returning to the couch I spread the blanket on the floor and propped the pillow behind my back.

The book I had gotten was "The little Mermaid" for some odd reason.. Sitting there.. I started reading quietly, one hand looped through his.I had reached the part where the princess gave her voice to the witch to win the prince's love whenever I began to doze finally, book falling into my lap.

When I woke I found myself in bed, the book resting next to me. Something caught my attention and I sat up gasping.. The mark that was on my back had spread down my arms, but much less severe.The tanktop seemed a little too scanty for me and I changed quickly into a longsleeve top and headed out to the living room.

The crono read 0330 .. Godfrey was finishing packing things up in a few bags. I could see his bo staff, a few smaller bags which I figured contained his kamas, sais, tonfas and so forth. There was also a duffel bag resting amongst the others as well.

I placed my bag down with all of the others sitting there and Belda, who I had explained this to a while ago had packed her bag as well and was waiting for the two of us" where are we going?" she asked curiously

I smiled" that I don't even know myself.. Only Godfrey knows.. In fact he hasn't even told me.. Where ARE we going if you don't mind me asking?"

He smiled mysteriously" That's a suprise.. Now come on.. can't be late in getting out of here" We both followed him down to the hangar bay, my mind whirling of where we could be headed. We boarded the ship and he didn't say a word but had us both go and sit in the main room of the ship while he went to the cockpit and set the coordinates before rejoining us.
" What's the.. O..onki..Onkichi Budokai Master Godfrey?" Belda asked him, a puzzled look on her face

He smiled and had her come sit with him while he told the story I had heard hundreds of times. When he tells a story he goes into great detail. The picture the two of them painted made my heart melt.. He was always so good with children, even before I really knew him. I sat and listened, sipping a juice, the atmosphere quiet and relaxed for a change.. Nothing really troubling me, nothing calling for our instant attention.

It was just the three of us.. well five if you want to be picky.. It was cozy it was warm.. We were a family without realizing it.
The ship's engines thrummed under our feet, lulling everyone into a safe secure feeling. If I could simply freeze time here.. I might. I wondered if this is how a mother felt watching her child.. .. But then the thought passed out of recgonition and time..

To freeze time wouldbe both a blessing and a curse. To not see them grow and change.. to become the wonderful people they were ment to be.. That would be among the highest of crimes.. My eyes watched them both , smiling.. feeling content.. No evil could touch us here .We were free, for the moment. Free to be our true selves.

TBC
Pho

8 comments:

Master Adana said...

It is good to have peace in life. Enjoy and refuel in this time of tranquility. And I hope all goes well.

Phobia said...

Thank You Adana.. and knowing Godfrey.. it will go quite well * grins*

Master Obi-Wan said...

Phobia take care of yourself for a change. Use this time well.

Godfrey please make sure she does.

Phobia said...

I always do.. well most of the time.. I'm not the one getting their hands dirty though.. I just have to keep HIM out of trouble* giggles*

Godfrey Zebulon said...

Yes.. the calm before the storm.. Obi Wan.. I'll make sure she'll be okay.. Even when she causes trouble..

Tash199 said...

so.... u say the f-word in the last post... now you're reading The Little Mermaid?
interesting....

Jinx Miakoda said...

The Little Mermaid... *sighs*
THE MOVIE MADE ME WANNA BE SICK!

Chester17 said...

awwwwwwwww u guyz r a great family